Saturday 27 June 2015

Joan McQuillan


My inspiration this week comes from the work of
textiles artist Joan McQuillan, who lives in Reading
and took part in the Whiteknights Arts Trail  a couple
of weeks ago, which I visited.
I really loved Joan's piece, Gone for a Swim
and am happy to say that I bought it and know that
I will treasure it and be constantly inspired by it.
You can find out more about Joan in the Diversity 
website,a textiles group she belongs to.
Joan is like me a "Windsor Girl", that is to say she studied for
her City and Guilds in Creative Embroidery at Windsor College, 
but some years before me, and to a higher level.
I met Joan on a train last year returning to 
Reading after my friend and I had been to an art exhibition,
and Joan and her friend had been to a textiles
exhibition. I couldn't help tuning in to their conversation,
as kept hearing enticing City and Guilds words! It's
always good to meet like minded people, and I like the
coincidence of sitting next to each other on a train.
Gone For a Swim is a stitched textile piece inspired by
St Ives.
I am going to put the picture up in my studio as a reminder
to keep working hard on techniques and always aspire to
 greater things.

Gone for a Swim by Joan McQuillan

Detail of Gone for a Swim by Joan McQuillan

No comments:

Post a Comment